Everyday life is stressful. Our hectic and busy schedules often leave no time for leisure activity and between the stress of our careers, family, and other responsibility it seems as though the stress will never end! As a Chiropractor, I can tell you that a large number of my patients point to stress as the reason for their pain. Muscle tension, particularly holds strong for some in their neck and low back when they are under stress and they constantly ask “how can I manage my stress?” I’ve heard the question enough times that I’ve decided it deserved an answer in a place where you can always find it! Read on for my top 5 tips to reduce stress.
- Get Active! Experts recommend about 30 minutes of exercise each day. Our bodies were made for movement, our sedentary or office based lifestyles, just don’t fit with our bodies wants and needs. Stress builds up as tension in our muscles and joints. Putting motion through your joints and muscles can help to relieve the muscle tension and stress from the day.
- Sleep! Your body does a majority of its repair work overnight. Getting an adequate amount of sleep will help your body to recover from the mental and physical stress that it has taken in all day. When we are deprived of sleep, it is then that we are at risk for illness and exhaustion.
- Feed your body! Fuel yourself with healthy food and plenty of good clean water. If you notice you are increasingly tired and fatigued, maybe you aren’t getting the right nutrition. Our brain craves minerals and vitamins in order to direct the body to function at 100%, give your body what it needs.
- Relax! Meditation, yoga, and reading are all great mind clearing and relaxing activities. The constant bombardment of email, phones, and TV are overwhelming and act as a stress on our systems. Take a 20-minute break each day and get back to calm with a relaxation session.
- Alternative Healthcare! Chiropractic, Massage, Acupuncture and other alternative health care professions are here to help you in your journey to a stress-free life! Taking the time to treat your body right can reduce your stress level. Consider adding essential oils to your daily life for their many benefits too!
Stress may not be avoidable, but with some quick and easy changes in your everyday life, you can reduce the stress and learn to deal with it more efficiently. Do you have other ways that you reduce stress in your life? Comment below, I’d love to hear them!